Your A/C works hard throughout the spring and summer, keeping your Ormond Beach home cool and comfortable while regulating humidity levels. Return the favor once a year by scheduling annual A/C maintenance to prevent future issues and major repairs, and help your A/C perform at peak efficiency. Avoid the rush and schedule your appointment in the spring, before your contractor gets booked up with repairs or new installations, and ask your technician to adhere to the checklist below.
- Check system controls – A/C maintenance should include turning on the A/C to check the cycle through start-up, operation and shutdown.
- Tighten electrical connections – Faulty connections are hazardous and may cause damage to major components. Current and voltage levels should also be checked on all motors.
- Lubricate moving parts – Inadequate lubrication causes friction, resulting in premature wear and tear and increased energy usage.
- Analyze thermostat settings – Accurate calibration and the right settings on your programmable thermostat are key to maximizing your comfort while reducing energy costs.
- Inspect the condensate drain – A dirty or clogged drain can result in water damage and provide the necessary humidity levels for mold or mildew growth.
- Adjust and clean blower components – Proper airflow contributes to heightened comfort levels, while reduced airflow can decrease efficiency levels.
- Check refrigerant levels – An improper charge will reduce the efficiency of the A/C, costing you more to operate while reducing the life span of your equipment.
- Clean the coils – Dirty condenser or evaporator coils prevent the A/C from cooling your home to the best of its ability and forcing it to work overtime.
- Inspect, change or clean the air filter monthly. A dirty air filter can hamper airflow, increase energy bills and cause premature wear and tear on parts.
- Keep the area around the outdoor unit free from obstructions or debris as unrestricted airflow is vital to the cooling process, and debris may prevent the condenser or compressor from doing their jobs.
To schedule A/C maintenance, or for any other HVAC concerns, give us a call at SSI. We proudly serve friends and neighbors in Orlando and the surrounding areas.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com